Mushroom Sliders the best substitute for hamburgers.
I tried these Mushroom Sliders back in 2012 and they are still on my favorite list. The original recipe was on “The Chew” made by Daphne Oz’s. She paired them with sweet potato oven fries. (Mushroom Sliders with Sweet Potato Oven Fries) I was a vegetarian for about two years and these “Mushroom Sliders” was a great replacement for that meaty hamburgers that I normally ate.
I am not good at following recipes, I always changing them. I used “Baby Bella instead of Portobello. I also added some Oyster mushrooms. I used a nice sweet Vidalia onion. Since my cooked rice is not always great, I purchased Trader Joe’s brown rice in the frozen section. For the cheese I also added Provolone. Almost forgot I used spinach instead of thyme.
Below is the original recipe but don’t be afraid to change it up, I did.
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 pounds of mixed mushrooms diced (Shitakes/Portobello/button)
1 onion (minced)
3 Springs Thyme (Leaves Only)
1 cup cooked brown rice (Trader Joe’s)
1/2 cup Whole Grain Breadcrumb
1/2 cup Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- Saute mushrooms and onions in the olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add Thyme
- Cook until mushrooms are tender and onions translucent.
- Place the mushrooms mixture into a large bowl and cool.
- Add rice, breadcrumbs and eggs.
- Form into small patties.
- Heat a skillet.
- Add the patties to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side.
- Flip the burgers and top with the cheese