6 Must have Slow Cooker Features
Are you shopping for a “Slow Cooker”? Check out these 6 must have features. Having the right features can change your entire attitude about using a slow cooker. A good “Slow Cooker” will save you time and money. Check out my Spaghetti Meat Sauce recipe . The great thing about this recipe is I have enough meat sauce for dinner and enough to freeze for later. The added bonus of the 5 quart size.
Timer that turns off cooker after 20 hours.
- Having a programmable timer is a great safety feature in the event that you forget to shut it off.
Settings that with High, Low and Warm.
- Cooking time can vary between high and low. This is a great feature when time is a factor. I also enjoy having the warm option when eating time can vary with guests.
Holds at least 5 Quarts.
- Even with a 2 person family having at least 5 quarts is a must. I would much rather freeze or have leftovers than taking the risk of not having enough.
Oval design that can accommodate large and odd shape items.
- My first slow cooker was the tall upright design however I found it difficult to use with large chickens or roast. Since I have started experimenting with different recipes which may call for a variety of ingredients I prefer the oval design.
Removable dishwasher-safe ceramic insert with a lip.
- The reason I started using the slow cooker I wanted simple recipes with minmum cleanup. Having the ceramic insert either sprayed with cooking spray or a cooking liner makes cleanup a breeze.
- Yes I know a watched pot never boils, that why I enjoy the glass lid with the lip so I can peek inside and not losing valuable heat.